Applies to SmarterMail 8.x - 15.x
- Back up your SmarterMail installation and data.
- Download the latest automated installer from the SmarterMail Download page.
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, stop IIS.
- Uninstall SmarterMail. This is an important step in performing a major upgrade that should not be skipped. All configuration data and email will be preserved.
- Run the SmarterMail installer.
- During the installation process, you will be prompted for the installation path. In order to keep existing data and settings, install to the same path used in previous installs. For reference, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail.
- If you have made any custom configuration changes in the MailService.exe.config, replace those changes to the appropriate location.
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, make sure the default web server is stopped.
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, change the .NET version of the Application Pool to .NET 4.0 and restart IIS.
- The Setup Wizard will automatically run.
- If you were running with an activated license key, you will need to reactivate using a license key that is valid for the version you upgraded to. For more information regarding activation refer to: Activate SmarterMail. In some cases you may need to reconfigure your spam settings, as those can change from version to version.